RUSES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Have you enjoyed Uni so far?

3 posters

Go down

Have you enjoyed Uni so far? Empty Have you enjoyed Uni so far?

Post  Alex Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 pm

This is mainly aimed at Part 1s but anyone can answer Smile

Has your time at University been better than expected, worse than expected? Learned a lot?

For me, I'll just cycle through my modules:

Degree = CS

Software Engineering - from the module name it sounds really cool. Shame it's terrible. Way too business, especially when I thought it would actually involve engineering software. They should change the name to include 'Business'. Content aside, I've really enjoyed making the board game, though I'm not really sure why that was put in because I'm not learning much about SE from it. Though I can't complain because it's worth 45% of the module.

Programming - Learned C having known C++. Managed to master pointers, a topic that seemed to elude me for years - though to be fair, I can easily code things in C++ (not C) and not use pointers whatsoever. I've managed to make my code much neater, and also learned what a const method does in a class, and throwing exceptions (though adding a breakpoint would probably save time...)

Fundamentals - Having done D1 in A Level Maths, I thought Discrete Maths was going to be horrible. Luckily it turned out that I was just taught D1 badly and Ben was the lecturer for this - so the lectures were more like entertainment than lectures. I really enjoy the algorithms content, James would be a brilliant lecturer if he didn't talk about his research all the time. Sadly he does, and he forces us to learn it, by linking it with other things (such as Time Order).

Codes and Codes Breaking - It's just number theory and remembering things. Guess I've learned a little number theory. And multiple encryption algorithms, but that's about it. Good lecturer though.

Computer Applications - Way too diverse, there's just too much to learn. I enjoyed AI, the first half of Digitals Circuits, and Internet Comms. Everything else is horrible. Especially Robotics (what do we even learn for the exam????).

Engineering Maths - I preferred the Complex Numbers/Linear Algebra side rather than the Calculus/DE side. Probably a good sign, as I'm going to be doing much more Linear Algebra than Calculus over the next couple of years. Best lecturer goes to Faustina as she is brilliant.

All in all Uni's been around what I expected. Wish I could swap CA and SE for more mathematical/programming modules though. Also in the Programming module, I thought they would at least teach us an API so we could do graphical stuff instead of everything being console based.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Have you enjoyed Uni so far? Empty Re: Have you enjoyed Uni so far?

Post  lee Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:52 am

Degree = Cyber

Software Engineering - Literally the worst thing to happen since the DiDa GCSE course (if anyone else did that godawful excuse of a subject). The board game was fun but I agree with you Alex, pretty reduntant in terms of software engineering.

Programming - Learned a lot through programming, probably the best lectures and I quite enjoyed the labs (even if some were pantsonhead retarded). Some great lecturers and strong syllabus which is a bonus!

Computer Applications - So much to learn. Like. It's horrendous. Comp Apps seems to be where everything that 'doesn't quite fit anywhere else' goes. The Internet comms part, while interesting seems horrific in terms of actually being tested on the content.

Engineering Maths - Maths has been a consistently brutal subject but being maths, it is quite easy to revise (I feel) in comparison to other modules so I am not too worried about this as a module. I'm glad it is over though because the calculus was starting to become insane.

Cyber and Circuits - A truly brutal module if you haven't done electronics before and a pretty mean module if you have. The content seems well organised but more examples would be brilliant, especially as some of the lecturers just read straight off the slide (I'm pretty sure Richard had them all memorised)

I also take Japanese which is a silly idea because I suuuuckkk at languages.

Anyway I think Reading is awesome, SysEng is awesome and the speed that we are learning is pretty reasonable.
lee
lee

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 am

Was DiDa an IT course (I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it on the teach ict web site). And if so, I agree with you having done ICT at GCSE and A Level. Software Engineering is that bad :/ It seems to me like we would pick it up in the industry, and it's completely irrelevant for non-CS/IT.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  JosephM Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 am

Software Engineering - The board game has been sort of fun, but not totally convinced it's been time well spent. On the other hand, it counts to 45% of the module, which slightly relieves pressure on the exams. Enjoyed Dawn's lectures a lot- think it will turn out to be really useful either in next two/three years or after uni.

Programming - Possibly a bit slow and would have liked to learn a little more; however I though all the lecturers have been excellent.

Fundamentals - Ben was excellent for discrete maths. James's lectures would be a lot better if it weren't for the divide-by-zero stuff- really begrudge having to implement it in the coursework.

Code Breaking - Really good module- glad I picked it. Subject is really interesting, and taught brilliantly. Plenty of lecture notes and practical sessions which have been very helpful at times.

Applications - Didn't enjoy digital circuit stuff last term- not what I'm interested in and never intend to use it. AI was interesting and Kevin Warwick was really good. Robotics has also been interesting, but it's not something I intend to use in the future, so it seems a bit redundant. Internet Communications has been excellent- has long been a subject that I've wanted to know more about. Chris Guy is brilliant- even in digital circuits, which I hate Smile

Enterprise - Some of the lectures have been quite dry, especially last term; that said, I think this module will be really useful in the future. Would have liked the coursework to have been set much earlier so that it doesn't have to be done over Easter.

JosephM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum